Monday, September 22, 2008

106: Assignment 1


What is your plan for meeting the needs of each of the four types of misbehavior in your classroom? (Attention, control, boredom, and inadequacy):


Students who have a strong desire for attention, and occasionally create disruptions in order to receive such attention, will receive positive reinforcement and attention for good behavior. Value rockets (which work like raffle tickets) will be handed out to students who are behaving well. Students who need attention will be rewarded, the same as (or perhaps more) than other students in the class who also display proper behavior. This will encourage students starving for attention with a way to receive attention in a non-disruptive manner. Disruptive behavior prompted by a desire for attention will be ignored, unless it is to an intolerable extreme.


Students who need to control will be provided with the option of choice. They will get to choose between activities or worksheets – providing choice during instruction. Behavior issues will also be approached through choice, providing these students with a degree of control over their situations.


Students who are bored because they are advanced will be challenged with differentiation. Perhaps more challenging worksheets will be provided, or they will be pulled aside at points during the day to work on a different subject matter.


Students who fear inadequacy and act out will have to build their confidence. Starting them out with easier work and gradually getting them to a point where they feel comfortable participating in a positive manner will help to eliminate behavioral issues prompted by a sense of inadequacy.

3 comments:

Chris T. said...

Hey Jason, that's a really good question. I'm not quite sure how to answer your question because I know I use humor but I use it without thinking about it. When I hear a student curse, I usally have a funny/weird look on my face (which makes students laugh), and I say, "Excuse me" (in shock). They usually apoligize and know that it's not acceptable.
If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Kate said...

Jason,
I like the idea of empowering students who are misbehaving by giving them choice. Be sure to let me know how it goes... I'm sure it will definitely help with some students, but I'll be excited to hear if it works across the board.

Keep me updated :)

peggy said...

You have some solid ideas for addressing the types of misbehavior...do you feel like you've been implementing them? How's it going? Do you feel like you are able to discern which students are seeking attention vs. control, etc? Once again, this goes back to knowing your students through developing relationships...which is certainly more challenging when you have 80 students and only see them each for 100 minutes a day!....but you can focus on building relationships with those students who seem to really need it first, at least.