In my self-assessment at that start of 112, I mentioned that direct vocabulary instruction occurs in my classroom but that it could occur more frequently. The observation notes from my coach essentially echo the concerns I had for myself in regards to direct vocabulary instruction. Often times I assume that a particular phrase or word is understood without delving into its meaning. Then that word is used contextually without providing the students meaning before hand, essentially leaving it up to the students to determine the word’s meaning.
I also need to use more explicit forms of academic English. Words like justify and evidence rarely appear through the course of instruction in my classroom, although other words such as compare, or estimate may.
I could also grow by attempting to find more ways to tie home culture and language into mathematics. I attempt to make those connections fairly infrequently and I believe the students would benefit from such connections being made.
I feel generally fairly strong by activating prior knowledge at least in terms of math and also in the area of using models and visuals to assist students throughout their learning. Both of these happens frequently through the course of my instructional time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jason, it's interesting to hear that some of the language we should be using is pretty much the same (justify, explain, describe) for math and Literacy. I think your method of activating prior knowledge (from everything you've described to me up til now) seems pretty effective. I too, am struggling with actually ensuring that I use the academic vocab. Every day, it's on my daily plans-- a word to focus in on, generally during UbD but sometimes during read aloud, etc. Unfortunately though, it's something I tend to skim over when time gets short-whoops! Maybe building the word into your plans would help you? Or even a weekly 'key word?' to add to a math word wall- I'm not sure if you do that already? Just an idea, maybe it will help!
Jason,
I enjoyed reading your post because my eyes are wide open now in terms of giving our students the academic English that they will not get anywhere else but in our classrooms. During the entire school year up until having taken this course, I was using simple words like check and prove and show;however, I have changed that vocabulary and use words like justify and evaluate in their place. The students are picking it up and using the words too which is amazing. I don't think that even in other schools that do not have the same demograhic as our school do not incorporate these words into their lessons and classroom. I used to sub in Sunnyvale Union School District and Cupertino Union School District back in the early and mid 90's, and the demographics and economic make-up of those districts are completely different than where we teach. Those children have parents who are engineers, and I don't ever remember seeing or hearing more sophisticated and more academic language being used in those schools. I am convinced more than ever in part because I am so much more aware about how powerful using the academic language is. This is one area where I definately want to focus on for next year and not water down the vocabulary thinking that our students are either too young or due to their language cannot be exposed and be successful using higher thinking academic English.
Post a Comment