Quote
“Latch key children find their way into trouble more easily, possibly stealing, vandalizing or abusing older siblings.”
One of my students, who last year had some reminisce of a structured home-life, has recently become a “latch key” child. His behavior has spiraled down this year, although it is important to note that it was always a struggle. He appears to be much angrier this year and often complains about loneliness at home and harassment from older siblings.
This article seemed supportive of after school programs. This particular student was enrolled for a week, but has not been back. I truly believe that the additional structure after school would lead to improved behavior during class and make this student a genuinely happier child.
I do however wonder if there are other strategies to provide home structure for latch key kids other than after school programs or adult supervision. If the parent is reluctant to re-enroll the student after school, what else can I suggest?
Comment
I found the discussion about the two schools of thought on education (constructivist vs. direct) to be rather interesting. It forced me to reflect on my teaching approach and assess whether or not it fit into either category clearly or whether or not it was a mix of both.
Although there are some parts of the day, while learning new vocabulary through the CCD or working in particular centers, where I feel as if students are being challenged to construct knowledge, I feel like most of my teaching is falls along the line of a more direct approach, from guided reading to grammar instruction – everything is much more teacher centered. I suppose, subconsciously, my approach leans this direction because as an educator I feel as if I have more control over directing students toward a particular desired outcome – especially in terms of students acquiring particular content knowledge.
I had not often thought about how my teaching approach might actually hinder students from developing other important skills or deprives them of meaningful hands-on learning.
Although it was not the intention of Chapter 13 to advocate for a particular school of thought, I feel persuaded to re-evaluate each element of the day within my classroom and find ways of allowing students discover and explore collaboratively.
In addition to finding the aforementioned portion of the book useful, I also thought the discussion about ethnicity in the classroom was particularly practical. Granted, at my school there is little ethnic diversity, however the strategies presented (eg: the jigsaw activities) seem like a strong method for culture building that would generally contribute to a safer and more understanding learning environment.
Question
I am also curious to find out more information about the Corner Approach and evaluate how well my school meets the three elements. I feel like my school does do an effective job at creating a comprehensive school and staff development plan as well as involving parents. But I am not entirely sure what exactly the Corner Model precisely says.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment